fl0w online?

Discussion regarding our first commercial release, flOw PS3, PSP, PS4, PS Vita, and the old Flash/PC version.

fl0w online?

Postby bacrist07 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:37 pm

Hey, I was just wondering if there was going to be an online multiplayer expansion for fl0w like there was for Blast Factor. Seeing all the "online" credits in the game got me wondering.
Thanks for any info...
bacrist07

Postby KelleeSan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:57 pm

Hey, bacrist07!

We are measuring audience response/interest in online multiplayer, and also what modes of play you think would be fun. Blast Factor is a pretty obvious choice for online multiplayer, but we don't know if flOw necessarily would be...
KelleeSan
Former TGC Core Member

Postby Amish_Gramish » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:24 pm

KelleeSan wrote:Hey, bacrist07!

We are measuring audience response/interest in online multiplayer, and also what modes of play you think would be fun. Blast Factor is a pretty obvious choice for online multiplayer, but we don't know if flOw necessarily would be...

We've been talking about this for months...
But we need to keep this subject going (and we need ONLINE!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!)

Welcome to the forums!!!

I too was wondering about all those "online" credits. (I so tired the first time I played through the credits, I didn't even notice my name...)
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby cloud668 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:51 am

KelleeSan wrote:Hey, bacrist07!

so we can suggest game modes too other than just saying 'we want flOw Online!'?
PSN Name: Cloud668
cloud668
Veteran

Postby TTP » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:44 pm

I have a couple, but will share just one for now.

Version 1.3

CHANGE LOG:
Fixed stuff. Went from a hand stroking water to a wind blowing it to the actual current streaming through the ocean idea.
---
Just came up with a top secret idea that fixes one of the potential issues highlighted in one of the notes. That note has therefore been removed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[What it is]
It's a competitive two-players mode called "Life could be messy"

[Basic premise]
Player 1 controls the creature by tilting the controller as he normally would in the single player game.

Player 2 controls the "flOw". By tilting the controller he sends a continuous current along the plane basically acting like a godly mouth blowing into the ocean from above. Blowing through the ocean realistically affects every creature in it. They get "pushed around" to different degrees. There is much more to it, but that's part of the top secret idea.

[Objectives]
Contrary to the single player game, Player 1 starting point is the bottom of the abyss, his goal being reaching the surface by absorbing the "GO UP" blue thingies roaming around on each plane.

Player 2 has to stop this from happening by blowing over the water so that Player 1 has difficulties in directing his creature where he wants to. More specifically, he tries to avoid Player 1 reaching and absorbing the "GO UP" thingies.

[Gameplay mechanics overview]
At the beginning of the match, since it takes place deep into the abyss, currents produced by Player 2 Sixaxis tilts are weak. They get stronger and stronger as Player 1 gets closer to the surface. Current intensity depends on the controller tilting angle. It’s direction on the tilting orientation.

For the Player 1 to effectively navigate his way against the flOw, he needs to grow. By growing he gets heavier and faster and therefore less affected by the opposing flOw. He achieves this by eating other organisms as he normally would in single player. He also needs avoiding being bited by the other creatures as this would hinder or reverse his evolution.

For the Player 2 to effectively make Player 1 life "messy", he needs to direct the flOw either against the Player 1 creature or against the cells he tries to eat. ie. If the Player 1 creature is at a stage of its evolution or at a depth of the abyss so that it would make him almost immune to the flOw, Player 2 might find blowing the abyss in the direction opposite to the one Player 1 is going as uneffective. In this case, a better strategy would be to direct the current so that it pushes critical stuff away from Player 1.

[Game ending conditions]
Game ends when Player 1 reaches the surface.
Technically, Player 2 can never win as the Player 1 creature cannot die. Player 1 can oppose Player 1 ascension virtually forever, but there is no "Player 2 wins" moment. A timer can be added to the game so that players can swap roles in an attemp to beat eachothers times in reaching the surface. This really depends on how much we want to stick with the basic game philosophy.

[Bulletpoints and general considerations]
- The flOw control dynamics pushes the physics engine to an unprecedented videogame-community-fapping level of awesomness and autheticity.

- Despite the competitive premise, flOw stays true to its principles of simplicity and relaxing experience.

- While this is a 2 players competitive mode, nothing stops Player 2 to actually help player one in his ascension.

[Notes]

NOTE #1
In order to increase the emotional connection of both players to the proceedings, a couple of visual and aural cues can be considered:

1 - Contrary to the SP experience, progression for Player 1 is rewarded by moving away from the darkness and into the light of the upper planes of the ocean.

2 - Currents make a "swoooo"-like sound effect (you know, similar to the "boost" one already in place). Given the match starts deep into the abyss, the sound it's very stuffed and subtle at the beginning (just like the effectivness of the current is poor), but it gets stronger and more vivid as Player 1 approaches the surface. Hey, how about adding some aural seagull?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well. That's most of it. There would be other details to address like, how do you communicate to Player 2 how strong his current is at any given point in relation to the Player 1 creature evo-state and the plane depth he's swimming in? Do you actually need to communicate that in the first place, or would it be more like a "learn by just blowing" process? Oh, and there is also the "GO DOWN" red thingy... but that's for another update. If TGC shows interest that is.

Online? We can only dream. Doesn't sound all the demanding tho, does it?
Last edited by TTP on Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 11 times in total.
TTP

Postby cloud668 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:02 pm

Here is some I can think of, with some being modifications of traditional FPS online modes

Online Co-op (All Vs NPC) (Time Limit: N/A)
Gameplay would be the same as local multiplayer.

Online Deathmatch (PvP) (Time Limit: 10 Mins)
Players start at random level of the level, then search for enemies to eat.

Online Team Deathmatch (Team1 Vs Team2) (Time Limit: 10 Mins)
Players are divided into two teams, and to eat enemies of the other teams. Team 1 starts at the first few highest levels of the abyss, Team 2 starts at the few lowest levels.

Online Rescue (Team1 Vs Team2) (Time Limit: 10 Mins)
Players of Team1 are to search for a special type of creature at the bottom level of the abyss, Team2 to defend. Team 1 starts at the first few highest levels of the abyss, Team 2 starts at the few lowest levels.

Online Capture (Team1 Vs Team2) (Time Limit: 10 Mins)
Players are to search for a special type of creature and eat it, and return to their ‘base level of the abyss.’ Team 1 starts at the first few highest levels of the abyss, Team 2 starts at the few lowest levels.

Online Eat-It-All (PvP) (Time Limit: 10 Mins)
Players are to find creatures to eat, eating each creature will result in a 5 point addition, and head the bottom level of abyss as soon as possible, by doing this, and player’s score will be awarded 350 points. Players cannot eat others.

Online Team Eat-It-All (Team1 Vs Team2) (Time Limit: 10 Mins)
Players are to find creatures to eat, eating each creature will result in a 5 point addition to the team score, and head the bottom level of abyss as soon as possible, by doing this, and player’s team score will be awarded 750 points. Players cannot eat others.

Online Lose-It-All (PvP) (Time Limit: N/A)
Several creatures that can eat the player, but will avoid so, exists in random levels of abyss, the players are to search for them, then get close to them for them to eat the player.

Online Hide-N-Seek (Players Vs 1) (Time Limit: 10 Mins)
One individual player will need to search for other players and eat them, the others are to escape, or try to eat the certain player. Every bite here worth 10 points to the hiders, and 5 points to seeker. Other players are not enemies, but nor they are team members, the maximum levels of abyss is 3 in this game mode.

Online Searching (2 Vs 2) (Time Limit: 15 Mins)
This mode takes place in underground pipes, instead of abyss; players are to search for the other team member, the two teams doesn’t affect each other in terms of gameplay except that the matter of winning or losing.
cloud668
Veteran

Postby Amish_Gramish » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:49 pm

I was thinking more elegant, but simple~

It would be just like how flOw is now, but online.

There would be more evolve foods/creatures/food per level to fit more people.

And each creature can move according to their own screen, not like local multiplayer where both have to move in order for the screen to move. (I hope you understand...)

I'm also wondering how online multiplayer would work without any menus... (Recruiting people)
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby Jenova » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:10 pm

You guys are not gonna charge us if it ended up happening to be like what you wrote do you :p
Jenova
TGC Core Member

Postby cloud668 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:57 pm

Jenova wrote:You guys are not gonna charge us if it ended up happening to be like what you wrote do you :p

absloutely not a single dime
cloud668
Veteran

Postby TTP » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:03 am

Jenova wrote:You guys are not gonna charge us if it ended up happening to be like what you wrote do you :p

Well, we did pay for the Blast Factor MP patch. I'd do it again for some interesting flOw MP modes.
TTP

Postby Amish_Gramish » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:39 pm

I came up with an DELETED
Last edited by Amish_Gramish on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby KelleeSan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:54 pm

I love hearing your ideas, but I just want to make sure you guys know this part of our "Terms of Use":

SUBMISSIONS
TGC is pleased to hear from their customers and welcomes their comments regarding TGC's services and the Sites. Unfortunately, however, company policy does not allow us to accept or consider creative ideas, suggestions or materials other than those it has specifically requested. We hope you will understand that it is the intent of this policy to avoid the possibility of future misunderstandings when projects developed by TGC's professional staff might seem to others to be similar to their own creative work. Accordingly, we must, regretfully, ask that you do not send us any original creative materials such as game ideas or original artwork. While we do value your feedback on our services and products, we request that you be specific in your comments on those services and products, and not submit any creative ideas, suggestions or materials.

Anyways, please continue the discussion, but just wanted to make sure you guys knew about this.
KelleeSan
Former TGC Core Member

Postby Amish_Gramish » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:38 pm

KelleeSan wrote:I love hearing your ideas, but I just want to make sure you guys know this part of our "Terms of Use":

SUBMISSIONS
TGC is pleased to hear from their customers and welcomes their comments regarding TGC's services and the Sites. Unfortunately, however, company policy does not allow us to accept or consider creative ideas, suggestions or materials other than those it has specifically requested. We hope you will understand that it is the intent of this policy to avoid the possibility of future misunderstandings when projects developed by TGC's professional staff might seem to others to be similar to their own creative work. Accordingly, we must, regretfully, ask that you do not send us any original creative materials such as game ideas or original artwork. While we do value your feedback on our services and products, we request that you be specific in your comments on those services and products, and not submit any creative ideas, suggestions or materials.

Anyways, please continue the discussion, but just wanted to make sure you guys knew about this.

I guess I should delete my earlier post (so Sony doesn't see it...)
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby TTP » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:43 pm

KelleeSan wrote:I love hearing your ideas, but I just want to make sure you guys know this part of our "Terms of Use":

SUBMISSIONS

Hmm... you "specifically requested" ideas about the online mode, so you have to deal with the consequences :D

Kiddin aside, I wonder if I should read your response as saying "you know guys, some of these ideas rock and we are working on them but bare in mind you wont get any money from it" (which is fine as far as I'm concerned. Actually that would be fantastic news!) or something like "watever u say, 'company policy does not allow us to accept or consider creative ideas, suggestions or materials', so by posting ideas you basically rule out any possibility for them to be actually developed in the game".

Just to be sure, how should I read that? Should I bother with updating my unofficial, totally do-whatever-you-please-with-it proposal or should I just drop it altogether cos it can't be considered by TGC as stated in the company TOS?

You can delate that post if it causes you any problem with Sony.
TTP

Postby cloud668 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:51 pm

well that sucks, i really wanted to see them being made :(
but well good luck with the online development
cloud668
Veteran

Next

Return to flOw