Playstation Vita

Anything on your mind but SPAM

Playstation Vita

Postby Nights » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:39 am

Am I the only one who feels less than lackluster about the upcoming handheld? (Besides the Japanese sales numbers)

Technologically, I am impressed. There is no doubt about it. But I am not thrilled with:

- The pricing level for the console
- The fact that I have to purchase new proprietary memory cards separately
- Only one PSN account per console
- There doesn't seem to be (at least for me) much talk about PSN-exclusive download games for the VITA.

What does everyone else think?
Nights

Postby Amish_Gramish » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Many of the games they have shown are set to launch in February, so that's one reason for the lackluster sales. The success of the PSP is hampering sales, just like the PS2 with the PS3. (This is why Nintendo and Microsoft destroy their old consoles - in order to sell more of the new ones.)

I, personally, think the price is amazing! (For the U.S.) In Japan, it's pretty much like $325, and Europe is something like $375. Europe is due to taxes and such, though.

As for games? Not really many exclusives (SoundShapes is AMAZING!!!!), but there are a lot of great titles:
Uncharted
Dynasty Warriors
SuperStardust
LittleBigPlanet
WipEout
etc.

I'm probably going to have to keep switching around between US and Japanese accounts, though. One account isn't going to stop me! It's the same with the PSP.

It took me three years to finally buy a MS Duo, and about a year for the M2. I'll probably buy the 32GB within a year, especially if I finally start making cash on Forex.
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby Byas » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Theres some titles I'm considering to have...

Uncharted Golden Abyss
LittleBigPlanet PSV
Rayman Origins

But I'm gonna wait for some newer upgrade to come out like PlayStation Vita Slim (something like that) Then wait for more PSVita games to come out that interest me.
Last edited by Byas on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Byas
Veteran

Postby Nights » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Amish_Gramish wrote:Many of the games they have shown are set to launch in February, so that's one reason for the lackluster sales. The success of the PSP is hampering sales, just like the PS2 with the PS3. (This is why Nintendo and Microsoft destroy their old consoles - in order to sell more of the new ones.)

I, personally, think the price is amazing! (For the U.S.) In Japan, it's pretty much like $325, and Europe is something like $375. Europe is due to taxes and such, though.

As for games? Not really many exclusives (SoundShapes is AMAZING!!!!), but there are a lot of great titles:
Uncharted
Dynasty Warriors
SuperStardust
LittleBigPlanet
WipEout
etc.

I'm probably going to have to keep switching around between US and Japanese accounts, though. One account isn't going to stop me! It's the same with the PSP.

It took me three years to finally buy a MS Duo, and about a year for the M2. I'll probably buy the 32GB within a year, especially if I finally start making cash on Forex.

That's the thing though:

Its one account per PSV. If you want to log on another (say, switch between JP and NA accounts), you have to take the handheld back to factory specs.

And if you want to save your game at all...you have to have a memory card.

No memory card, no saving. Oh, and they don't include one in the box...so you have to go purchase it yourself.

The price is still quite high. 250 and 300 are the prices for the console, which is as expensive (or more) than a new PS3. Compared to other regions, I guess...but I still am only living in the US lol.
Nights

Postby Amish_Gramish » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:42 am

Nights wrote:Its one account per PSV. If you want to log on another (say, switch between JP and NA accounts), you have to take the handheld back to factory specs.

And if you want to save your game at all...you have to have a memory card.

No memory card, no saving. Oh, and they don't include one in the box...so you have to go purchase it yourself.

The price is still quite high. 250 and 300 are the prices for the console, which is as expensive (or more) than a new PS3. Compared to other regions, I guess...but I still am only living in the US lol.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that factory reset and memory card stuff.

I guess I'll have to keep backing up data to make sure I don't get screwed over! (I think that some games only save to their card, and if you have a game on the system itself, it will only save to the system, so I'm not sure what will happen.)

As for the price, handhelds have always been more expensive than consoles when they came out. It's because they have their own screen, are portable, and have more advanced/smaller pieces of hardware in each one than home consoles.

PSP, DS, 3DS, Vita, GameBoy Advance, WonderSwan, GameBoy, GameBoy Color, Atari Lynx, etc. have always been somewhat expensive. I think the PS2 was $200 or something when the $250 PSP came out, and the PS3 is $250 with the $250 Vita, and the Wii/360 being $150/200 with the $250 3DS.

The thing is there's a lot of competition from tablets and cell phones. The thing about the 3DS and Vita is that we can never expect that they'll sell as well as the DS/PSP. People can multitask with phones and tablets, but they can't do much with the 3DS and Vita.

If I get enough cash, though, I'd probably get a different colored Japanese version, just for teh lulz. I'd have to have a lot of spare cash, though, because I'm not one to throw money around.
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby Magnum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:57 am

I'm going to the NYC Vita Meetup next Tuesday. Can't wait to try out that beautiful system myself! I'll be sure to post some impressions then.
"Magnum the almost omnivorous, one very hungry sandwich troll."
Magnum
Veteran

Postby Amish_Gramish » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:25 am

Magnum wrote:I'm going to the NYC Vita Meetup next Tuesday. Can't wait to try out that beautiful system myself! I'll be sure to post some impressions then.

I could go to the one in Chicago, but the cost to go there would basically be a Vita in and of itself!

I played the crap out of it at E3, and could have spent days with it if I didn't have to do so much for TGC. :) (I also missed seeing Miyamoto because I locked my keys in the rental car!) D:

Anyways, I'm actually thinking about getting the 3G model that comes a week early, because I might end up using the 3G in it, but mainly because I WANT IT!!!! :twisted:
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Return to Off Topic