Addon will not install

Discussion regarding our first commercial release, flOw PS3, PSP, PS4, PS Vita, and the old Flash/PC version.

Addon will not install

Postby Z°ⁿε » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:43 pm

First off i would like to apologize for the structure of my user name. It became clear, as soon as i registered, that this sight does not support ALT codes, my apologize.

Now, for my question. I bought flOw (original) and tried it out, quit fun. So i decided to buy the ADD-ON content for flOw. When i go to install it, it says something like "newer version installed.. there is no need for this one".
What i would like to know is, is there a way to install this ADD-ON content?

-thanks
Z°ⁿε

Postby Denethor » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:59 am

Sorry for the language but I'm using a translator. I too have the same problem as this user. I downloaded the free version for 1 day of flow, I played and I have installed the patch. Now I bought the expansion and it says it can not installed because a newer version! I said "never mind download flow again" instead while having downloaded now there on my list of downloads!

Thanks
Denethor

Postby John » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:26 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for trying out the game and sorry to hear you're having trouble! We're currently talking with Sony to try to figure out how to fix the problem and we'll let you know when we come to a resolution.

John
oh nose!
PSN Name: BaffleCakes
John
TGC Core Member

Postby Denethor » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks! See you soon hopefully for a new good news :)
Denethor

Postby Denethor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:25 am

Sorry for the inconvenience ... Nothing news?
Denethor

Postby xracrossx » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:02 pm

I also got this game during the promotion when it was given away for free. I just now purchased the expansion pack and am unable to install it due to the above issue. I am unable to reinstall flOw because the game does not appear in my downloads list in PSN.

I look forward to a timely resolution.
xracrossx

Postby John » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Still no solution, but here's what I think the problem is (I'm not 100% sure this is what's actually going on, but given my understanding of how the PSN works, it's my best guess):

Every PSN game has a hidden version number associated with it, which is increased every time the game is updated. So, when we first released flOw back in 2007, it's version number was 1.0. Then the expansion pack came out and increased the version number to 2.0 (I think the real version number is something more complicated, but you get the idea). Quite a while later, trophy support was added, increasing the version number to 3.0.

Now, when you first booted up the game, you may recall that it told you that it was going to download an update, which happened to be the version 3.0 trophy patch. After installing that update, the version of the game sitting on your hard drive becomes 3.0. When you then try to install the expansion pack, the installer compares the version number of the game on your hard drive (3.0) with the version number of the expansion pack (2.0) and decides your version is newer. That's when the annoying error message pops up and the installer quits. This same problem happens to people who pay for the original game if they play it before installing the expansion.

There is a workaround for people who have purchased the full game that unfortunately doesn't apply to people who participated in the Feb. 11th promotion. If you purchased the original version of flOw, the PSN store keeps track of that, so you can just delete the 3.0 version on your hard drive, re-download the original game and then immediately install the expansion before the trophy patch has a chance to be downloaded. Right now, it looks like the store isn't keeping track of people who participated in the promotion, so please don't delete your game to try this workaround, you won't be able to get it back!

Sony might still be able to fix the problem by either updating the version number of the expansion pack to something higher than 3.0 (which is unfortunately quite a bit trickier than it sounds), or making it so the store somehow remembers who downloaded the game during the promotion. Unfortunately, neither of these solutions my be possible, so there's a chance the free version of flOw (once updated with the trophy patch) will never be compatible with the expansion pack.

Luckily, we've invited the Sony producer for flOw to sit with us at next week's Game Developer's Choice awards, so I'll be able to ask him about the problem in person.

Again, thanks for taking the time to try out the game, and so sorry for all the trouble.

John
oh nose!
John
TGC Core Member

Postby Denethor » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:01 pm

You are great! Hopefully soon be able to do something ... also for people like me who downloaded the free game taking advantage of the offer, but bought the expansion for reward and recognition to the thathgamecompany or because they think the game deserves the purchase of additional part!

Thanks
Denethor

Postby Bolegium » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:35 am

Just so you know Denethor - the fine people at SuperVillain Studios were responsible, and deserve the credit for flOw's expansion pack, trophy support, and PSP version. If anyone truly wants to support TGC with their money, I would suggest actually purchasing the original game.
Bolegium

Postby John » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:33 pm

Quick update: I just talked to Rusty, the producer on flOw, and he said they were still working on a fix, and that it just needed to get through QA. "Just getting through QA," however, is a very unpredictable thing, and he didn't feel comfortable trying to predict when that process would complete. So, things aren't progressing extremely quickly, but, overall, good news.

John
oh nose!
John
TGC Core Member

Postby Amish_Gramish » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 pm

John wrote:"Just getting through QA," however, is a very unpredictable thing, and he didn't feel comfortable trying to predict when that process would complete. So, things aren't progressing extremely quickly, but, overall, good news.

Yeah, we've heard a lot about Europe's trouble with QA.

Hopefully this patch will come out soon!

And shouldn't the PlayStation Store keep track of those who purchased it for free?
I accidentally bought the full version of Undead Knights when someone at Sony accidentally put it up for free on the PlayStation Store when the demo should have been put up, and it still shows up on my PS Store DL List. The problem might be that it won't appear again unless Sony places it for sale, which probably won't happen, because they just want people to purchase the whole $9 shindig. (Hehehe, shindig. I haven't said that word in a long time, and I think this may be the first time it has been written on teh internetz, or at least TGC's internetz.)

So, it looks like many people may be out of luck until Sony places the $8 version of flOw onto the PS Store.
PSN: Amish_Gramish
Aethes Music Store
No Logo LLC
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby cloud668 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Amish_Gramish wrote:
John wrote:"Just getting through QA," however, is a very unpredictable thing, and he didn't feel comfortable trying to predict when that process would complete. So, things aren't progressing extremely quickly, but, overall, good news.

Yeah, we've heard a lot about Europe's trouble with QA.

Hopefully this patch will come out soon!

And shouldn't the PlayStation Store keep track of those who purchased it for free?
I accidentally bought the full version of Undead Knights when someone at Sony accidentally put it up for free on the PlayStation Store when the demo should have been put up, and it still shows up on my PS Store DL List. The problem might be that it won't appear again unless Sony places it for sale, which probably won't happen, because they just want people to purchase the whole $9 shindig. (Hehehe, shindig. I haven't said that word in a long time, and I think this may be the first time it has been written on teh internetz, or at least TGC's internetz.)

So, it looks like many people may be out of luck until Sony places the $8 version of flOw onto the PS Store.

I think as long as it's game content, it will just register it to your download list when you download it, free or not. Really though, was it just an accident? :)
PSN Name: Cloud668
cloud668
Veteran

Postby worlok375 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Any news on this? I downloaded the free version, thought it was a great game, and decided to buy the expansion add-on. I'm having this problem too. Is there any update on the situation? I heard that someone got a promo code for the game which let them get it for free again and then install the add-on is this possible if I show proof I have the game?
worlok375

Postby Rusty » Thu May 06, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi All,

I'm Rusty, and I'm that Sony guy that John mentioned earlier on. I first want to thank you guys for being patient with this, and give you an update. There is an update that will be coming out. I'll be honest and I thought it had gone live and hearing that this had kicked up again I started chasing things down.

Unfortunately there was a bureaucratic snafu that delayed it and ultimately it is my fault for that. :oops:

It will be going live on the 25th. The best I can do at this point. If I can make it faster I will, but I don't knowif I can.

Inbetween I am sure people have heard of the very meh way of getting around it which is it re-install flOw. Do NOT start the game yet. Then install the expansion then fire it up. That will work for now.

But I know this doesn't cover the folks that got the game through the promotional. I am chasing down why it is a one shot and see if there is anything I can do.

Again thanks for your patience.

Cheers
Rusty

thatsonyguy
Rusty

Postby worlok375 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Rusty wrote:Hi All,

It will be going live on the 25th. The best I can do at this point. If I can make it faster I will, but I don't know if I can.

But I know this doesn't cover the folks that got the game through the promotional. I am chasing down why it is a one shot and see if there is anything I can do.
Cheers

So wait what exactly is the patch going to do then?
worlok375

Next

Return to flOw