Total votes : 9

Brand New PSP SKU!!!! PSP Go!

Postby Amish_Gramish » Sun May 31, 2009 7:01 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/30/rumor ... e-of-qore/
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/30/qore- ... -and-more/
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/30/rumor ... d-slim-ps/

What do you think?

I'm definitely up for one!

I have always been planning no keeping my 5.00 CFW M33 Original Phat PSP, because I have almost 60 UMD games and movies, so I don't care about it not being backwards compatible.

It would be nice have a PSP version of a Sony Mylo, and the 16 GB of internal memory is pretty helpful too! (I'll definitely be needing more space, though.)

I have also been trying to not buy PSP games until they come out as downloads.

Also, Resistance: Retribution was released as a download and on UMD in Japan for Y3800 a couple months before it hit the Western Markets, and in the U.S. it's UMD only (for now).
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby Amish_Gramish » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:39 pm

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/u ... dea/825267

I thought of this UMD trade in program earlier this week, and Sony is "looking into it."

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/05/sony- ... igital-ve/
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby Akith » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:17 am

I'm not so into the new PSP, the old one looks better if you ask me. Sure I bet it has better specs than the old ones, but still.. there has been so many new versions of PSP lately.
Akith

Postby Amish_Gramish » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Akith wrote:I'm not so into the new PSP, the old one looks better if you ask me. Sure I bet it has better specs than the old ones, but still.. there has been so many new versions of PSP lately.

I do prefer the look of the old PSP, too, but I have been finding myself ripping games off the UMDs and playing them off the memory stick a lot more often than I actually play games on the UMDs, so I'm all for the whole digital thing.

And this new PSP Go still has the same specs of the old PSP, but with a couple differences:
PSP Go has Bluetooth, a SMALLER screen, and 16 GB internal flash memory.
It also changes some other things, like the video/audio out slot, the power slot, and the USB slot, making you have to buy all new stuff for your all new PSP.

It DOES NOT have a faster CPU or anything else, and the memory is still the same 64 MB that was introduced with the PSP-2000. (This makes it a little better than the PSP-1000, but booting games off the flash memory will take a lot less time than off UMD.)

I also read on thesixthaxis.com that you'll be able to use the Dualshock 3 on the PSP, and developers can take advantage of this, making customized controls.

But, overall, I do really like the new PSP.

Now, I'm just hoping they don't come out with a new one within a year. (I'll give Sony two years after the PSP Go, as I won't be buying a new home console until at least 2012.)
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby FROGGEman2 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Awesome Bananas!

:D WANT :D
PSN - FROGGEman2
XBL - FROGGEman2
Toribash - FROGGEman2

Current game - Assassins Creed & Okami ( Both for the second time!)
FROGGEman2

Postby Akith » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:09 am

I do prefer the look of the old PSP, too, but I have been finding myself ripping games off the UMDs and playing them off the memory stick a lot more often than I actually play games on the UMDs, so I'm all for the whole digital thing.

Gotta agree with you there, getting games as digital versions is easier and there's the ecological side on that too.

Oh I didn't know the new PSP had smaller screen! OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) screen would've make it quite impressive, I've heard those are clear as day.
Akith

Postby Amish_Gramish » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:19 pm

Akith wrote:Gotta agree with you there, getting games as digital versions is easier and there's the ecological side on that too.

Oh I didn't know the new PSP had smaller screen! OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) screen would've make it quite impressive, I've heard those are clear as day.

Yeah, no paper or plastic wasted, just a lot less electricity.
Gotta love digital downloads!

Anyways, OLED would be quite expensive, as the original 11 inch screen Sony one has dropped 75% of its price in the first year alone!
http://www.electronics-expo.com/index.p ... id=SONXEL1
Now it's only $2,500!!!

I would simply be amazed if Sony released a PSP with that screen, but I think that would make it the cost of a PS3, at least.
There is at least one phone with OLED, but remember, they have to come with a two year contract.
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby Akith » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Amish_Gramish wrote:
Anyways, OLED would be quite expensive, as the original 11 inch screen Sony one has dropped 75% of its price in the first year alone!
http://www.electronics-expo.com/index.p ... id=SONXEL1
Now it's only $2,500!!!

I would simply be amazed if Sony released a PSP with that screen, but I think that would make it the cost of a PS3, at least.
There is at least one phone with OLED, but remember, they have to come with a two year contract.

Yeah that's the downside it would have. Samsung was the company that created phone with OLED, it has a price tag's with 300-500€. Maybe in future when the prices of such screens come down.
Akith

Postby Amish_Gramish » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:47 pm

Akith wrote:Yeah that's the downside it would have. Samsung was the company that created phone with OLED, it has a price tag's with 300-500€. Maybe in future when the prices of such screens come down.

It would still be very epicly awesome!
I'm guessing someone might make a mod in the future, if they make some OLED screens that are about 4 inches/10 cm within the next year or two.
People have made Rock Band instruments out of real guitars and drums.
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby gm914 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:56 pm

Wait you can hook up a Dualshock to the GO? Wired or thru bluetooth?
Kinda defeats the purpose of mobile gaming if you ask me. I'd feel like a bit of a twit playing on the subway, holding a controller thats bigger than the actual system.

If only they'd included a second nub. One of the reasons I sold my original PSP. That and the fact they never implemented the promised "Use your PSP as your rear-view-mirror" on 2006 Formula One Champ. Edition for PS3.

That really disappointed me, as I had serious plans to engineer and construct a metal "rollcage" cockpit with integrated PS3, 26" LCD TV (piano black), race seat, wheel, pedals and a PSP on each side as mirrors. The idea was it would be foldable and with two pins, free-swinging ballast and a lever could sit up and transform into a PS3/TV stand for regular PS3 gaming/TV watchery. Kind of like a Schumacher Edition of Bowflex, if such a thing existed lol.

The drawings are still around somewhere.

Alas, they never implemented the feature, I got out of the construction biz (no more free materials/tools/Engineer advice) and the dream was no more. Life could've been simple...
SH_NANIG_NS!. Just isn't the same without EA.
gm914

Postby Amish_Gramish » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:07 pm

gm914 wrote:Life could've been simple...

It was, with flOw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_umAXFC95Y&NR=1
I am the laawawwa!

Anyways, I haven't heard anything concrete about the PSP Go being able to use the DualShock 3, but I have heard speculation. (Bluetooth is built in the PSP Go.)
You already can use it on Resistance: Retribution, but you have to have your PSP hooked up to your PS3, so it's more of a hassle than anything.

But, when you look at it, there are plenty of great games on the PSP that I would like to play on TV, because even though it's a portable console, it can be played at your home.
The main thing that is keeping me from playing games on my PSP is my PS3, because I don't travel around much (I don't take public transit, but that will all change for this next year of college), and I use almost all of my free time at my apartment. There have been a bunch of times where I wanted to play a PSP game, but I'd rather play a game in 1080p than on a 4.3" 272i screen.
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby Ar-Pharazon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:48 am

Amish_Gramish wrote:a 4.3" 272i screen.

Pedantic quibble: "i" means "interlaced", and the PSP's screen isn't interlaced. Your comment that 1080p is better than 480x272 remains perfectly valid, of course. :)

EDIT:
:oops:
I accidentally edited this post when I was waiting for Green Day to take the stage on Friday. I meant to respond, but I think I also deleted some of the stuff you said.

Sorry... :oops:
Ar-Pharazon
Veteran

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:24 am

Personally, as a game collector, I really dislike digital downloads. If possible I'd rather have the physical support, which I can treasure and not some intangible thing.

Any of TGC's games would have been beautiful in a well thought out pack, with a soundtrack CD, artbook and, for flOwer, why not pull a Kenji Eno and include a pack of seeds inside too? (he did it with both versions of Real Sound: Kaze no Regret)

I know it's a bit on the consummist side, but just like records or books or movies, games are just something I'd rather hold than just a bunch of megabites of data you transfer to a small memory card chip :(
Vyse Hazuky

Postby Amish_Gramish » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:56 pm

Ar-Pharazon wrote:
Amish_Gramish wrote:a 4.3" 272i screen.

Pedantic quibble: "i" means "interlaced", and the PSP's screen isn't interlaced. Your comment that 1080p is better than 480x272 remains perfectly valid, of course. :)

(This is what my post should have said.)

Yeah, sorry about that.
I don't know what I was thinking.

I should have remembered that the PSP-2000 can't play PSP games on SDTVs because the PSP has a progressive screen, but the PSP-3000 could change it to play games on SDTVs.

And 1080p is just a little better than 272p.
Just a little.

And I've been thinking, if Sony doesn't come out with some sort of PSP UMD trade-in thing within the first couple months of the PSP Go being released, I won't buy one, and if they make it so you can only play the traded in games on the PSP Go (meaning only one console can be linked to each download), I would have to say good-bye to the PSP-Go also.
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Postby Amish_Gramish » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Vyse Hazuky wrote:Any of TGC's games would have been beautiful in a well thought out pack, with a soundtrack CD, artbook and, for flOwer, why not pull a Kenji Eno and include a pack of seeds inside too? (he did it with both versions of Real Sound: Kaze no Regret)

I know it's a bit on the consummist side, but just like records or books or movies, games are just something I'd rather hold than just a bunch of megabites of data you transfer to a small memory card chip :(

Huh, seeds, that's a pretty cool idea!

Anyways, I know how you feel about physical stuff.
Heck, I created a business so other people could download something that I wouldn't necessarily want.
I do want to purchase FLAC music online if it had the album art, so then I wouldn't be missing out on not getting the CD, but still, even though I wouldn't have the CD, it would just feel different. I just want to make the digital transition as calming as possible, so I include the album inserts in my releases.

If my hard drive would be destroyed, I wouldn't have my CD anymore.
I do look at it like at least the CD can't get scratched if there isn't one.
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Next

Return to Off Topic