Hello

Greetings! New to the forums or the entire community in general? Let your presence be known here by introducing yourself.

Hello

Postby Rivasandre » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:42 am

Hi my name is Andre, and I discovered TGC through "Journey". After playing that game I immediately researched the makers of that work of art. To be honest I'm pretty new to forums and social media. I don't know why but I felt obligated to not use any source of social media, so I'm pretty new to all of this.
I'm an artist/musician that really has not found his medium, but I am trying to do 3d animation now. My goal was to be an Art therapist, but I have decided that I want to try and do art therapy incorporated with my childhood dream which was to be an animator/game designer. What TGC has done with Journey is by far the most emotion capturing game I have played. How I describe TGC is "the Pixar of gaming".
There goal to make video games a meaningful and inspiring experience has defiantly worked for me.
Any ways looking forward to meeting the TGC forum members.
Rivasandre

Postby thatflOwerguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:22 am

Play Flower and flOw now :D
Hey welcome to the forum, lots of people seem to have found TGC via Journey, which is great stuff!
thatflOwerguy
Hardcore Fan

Postby aisute~ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:38 am

welcome to the forum : ) I played journey as a complete therapeutic game really and I wouldn't call it anything else. It's very much a spiritual experience and even at some point it makes you a better person... hugs~
~the soul in me sees the sol in you~
aisute~

Postby Rivasandre » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:03 am

My brother and I played flOw and that was yet another beautiful experience. We where saying if Spore was created by TGC the game would be phenomenal.

Aisute it is awesome to hear that you thought it was a spiritual experience, because that is exactly what I was experiencing throughout the whole game, and I also agree it was very therapeutic. The matter for me is trying to capture what the game brought to me while I was playing it, and applying it everyday.

I tend to bore people when I talk in terms like this and I don't want to make an impression of a "boring?" person. I just enjoy talking about deep and spiritual things. Which is why Journey was just an amazing game for me.

On the other hand nice to meet you two. :)
Rivasandre

Postby thatflOwerguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 am

Rivasandre wrote:I tend to bore people when I talk in terms like this and I don't want to make an impression of a "boring?" person.

People will always hate you for simply liking things that they don't, which is why so many fans of Journey (who do nothing more than expressing how they feel about it, or trying to interpret the story) get called 'pretentionus'.
All that for daring to understand something not layed out in front of you, step by step.

As for finding you boring, only talk to people who don't find you boring, screw everyone else. Works for me.
thatflOwerguy
Hardcore Fan

Postby LilacDust » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 am

Rivasandre wrote:Aisute it is awesome to hear that you thought it was a spiritual experience, because that is exactly what I was experiencing throughout the whole game, and I also agree it was very therapeutic. The matter for me is trying to capture what the game brought to me while I was playing it, and applying it everyday.

I tend to bore people when I talk in terms like this and I don't want to make an impression of a "boring?" person. I just enjoy talking about deep and spiritual things. Which is why Journey was just an amazing game for me.

On the other hand nice to meet you two. :)

You're not boring! I love talking about deep and spiritual things, that's practically all I ever do. I totally agree with what you said. It was very thought provoking and it did feel like a spiritual and meaningful journey. It reflects what our lives might be like, our lives ARE journeys we go through, the people we meet in our lives are our companions and most of us can relate to the game on a deep spiritual emotional level because it really makes you wonder how close it is to our actual lives.

Oh and welcome! I'm new to this forum too! :)
LilacDust

Postby standinthemoon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:21 am

Welcome! :D I'm an artist/musician myself! I never really thought about doing art therapy, though. I think that's something I'll explore!
Don't worry if, in life, you sing off key now and then. Half the world is tone-deaf anyway.
standinthemoon

Postby Magnum » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:22 am

Welcome everyone! Nice to have you all here! Pretty neat to see so many people discover thatgamecompany through Journey.

We love getting into deep, philosophical discussions here, so don't be afraid to post whatever's on your mind.
"Magnum the almost omnivorous, one very hungry sandwich troll."
Magnum
Veteran

Postby Rivasandre » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:39 am

Oddly enough I just found out about art therapy about 2 years ago, and it was through my ex-girlfriend :(. But as I went through school I was an odd one out, and art was my field to express....that right there to me is art therapy. What TGC has done is kinda spawned a new goal for me. Sense I do not have the school credentials to become an Art therapist I figured why don't I just do what I want and incorporate art therapy into gaming/animation.
I think a game that is built to psychologically analyze and guide people, while being visually and audio striking would help people in need tremendously. It's one thing to watch a beautiful animation, but when you get to interact with it, it brings you to a whole new level.

We can all see that games today draw children of all ages into a new world, but the thing is it's not a real realm. If games can bring children into themselves it would be phenomenal an absolutely beautiful thing. For me at least.

Pardon my grammar, it seems I like knowledge in all my academics :P
Rivasandre

Postby standinthemoon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:42 am

Mm, I definitely see what you mean! Journey helped pull me out of a really deep depression I had been in for weeks (and an artistic and musical rut I've been in for months, if not years). Art has the power to turn lives around like that, I think. At least, it's always been true for me.

Haha, your grammar is fine!
Don't worry if, in life, you sing off key now and then. Half the world is tone-deaf anyway.
standinthemoon

Postby Rivasandre » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:52 am

standinthemoon wrote:Mm, I definitely see what you mean! Journey helped pull me out of a really deep depression I had been in for weeks (and an artistic and musical rut I've been in for months, if not years). Art has the power to turn lives around like that, I think. At least, it's always been true for me.

Haha, your grammar is fine!

Whats this rut your in? I think I could relate :P. All of my art work was done one school work that became garbage, that or it's in a sketch book of unfinished drawings/paintings.
Musically I can only make riff's but applying all those into one completed project......ls where my difficulties stand. along with knowing my fret board/key notes.
Rivasandre

Postby standinthemoon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:59 am

Well, I always used to love sketching, but I lost the drive to do that when I entered college, for whatever reason. Journey has me drawing now and again, which is a significant improvement from never drawing at all, but I've lost a lot of my skills.

Musically I'm at that point where every song I write sounds the same, so I can't motivate myself to work on things, haha... Plus I'm used to working with a lyricist and I don't have one at the moment.
standinthemoon

Postby Rivasandre » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:27 pm

I think school washes creativity away (this is my opinion). That is why I am entering a vocational school so I can focus on one thing.
Journey on the other hand is a very inspirational game. Your path/journey to the mountain is your path to fulfilling your desires....that's what I saw and grasped from the game play. Skill wise I fell in the same hole, but its always there. It's muscle memory :).

Im in the same rut musically, but i'd love to hear what you have done. No problem if you don't (it would be very understandable).
Rivasandre

Postby standinthemoon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Rivasandre wrote:I think school washes creativity away (this is my opinion). That is why I am entering a vocational school so I can focus on one thing.
Journey on the other hand is a very inspirational game. Your path/journey to the mountain is your path to fulfilling your desires....that's what I saw and grasped from the game play. Skill wise I fell in the same hole, but its always there. It's muscle memory :).

Im in the same rut musically, but i'd love to hear what you have done. No problem if you don't (it would be very understandable).

There's a few things available on my youtube channel and my pet project, the Avatar Musical Project channel if you'd like to listen to some of my stuff. There's not much original stuff on my channel, but I wrote everything currently on the Avatar channel and a few things on my regular channel.

I'll send you more later if you want, haha, but don't feel obligated. I'm not very good!
standinthemoon

Postby Amish_Gramish » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Welcome to the Forums!

I remember when the Ratchet & Clank series was the "Pixar of gaming..."
Amish_Gramish
Community Manager

Next

Return to Greetings!