Making a visual novel

We used to be and still want to share our innovative spirit with independent game makers.

Re: Making a visual novel

Postby Klowny » Fri May 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Ar-Pharazon wrote:I just thought it would be a plausible explanation for the lack of technology and infrastructure.

I don't know if it's at all plausible, but a way to present a future world/society without electronic gadgetry without having to change the fundamental laws of physics would be for that society to voluntarily (or through coercion/propaganda) choose to abandon technology - with or without a Solemn Oath.

That could introduce some dramatic conflict in this particular scenario of selib's.

His travelers, young impressionable provincials, set out to explore the "Old Places" against the wishes of parents/peers/authority figures, and encounter barbarous peoples even further removed from civilization as we know it, iconoclastic technomads utilizing what remnants of technology they can find or invent themselves, militaristic factions embroiled in mini arms races as they scavenge for stockpiles of weapons, etc.

Of course, this has all been done to death and then some. selib has his work cut out for him if he actually intends to mine something original from this seemingly exhausted premise.
PS3 Journeys: 1536
| River_in_Time 1988-2015 | PS4 Journeys: W-13 R-40
Klowny
Legend

Postby selib » Sun May 27, 2012 3:32 am

Klowny wrote:
Ar-Pharazon wrote:I just thought it would be a plausible explanation for the lack of technology and infrastructure.

I don't know if it's at all plausible, but a way to present a future world/society without electronic gadgetry without having to change the fundamental laws of physics would be for that society to voluntarily (or through coercion/propaganda) choose to abandon technology - with or without a Solemn Oath.

That could introduce some dramatic conflict in this particular scenario of selib's.

His travelers, young impressionable provincials, set out to explore the "Old Places" against the wishes of parents/peers/authority figures, and encounter barbarous peoples even further removed from civilization as we know it, iconoclastic technomads utilizing what remnants of technology they can find or invent themselves, militaristic factions embroiled in mini arms races as they scavenge for stockpiles of weapons, etc.

Of course, this has all been done to death and then some. selib has his work cut out for him if he actually intends to mine something original from this seemingly exhausted premise.

The most important part of the story of the game will be the relationship between the two protagonists.
Not about fighting raiders or whatever.
I had the idea that the game could take place in our time, but I thought that the game would be mroe interesting in a more interesting scenerio.

I changed the link to the blog btw, I changed the name of the studio
selib

Postby Amish_Gramish » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:27 am

Are there any updates about the visual novel?
Amish_Gramish
Former Community Manager

Postby thedoodypoo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:30 pm

So it's funny that I saw this because I've just finished performing a run of a play about a giant earthquake that destroys all of Portland Oregon. Some people kept calling "post apocalyptic" but it was literally all based on the projected outcome of an earth quake of that size hitting the Pacific Northwest. So I've been thinking a lot about what is an apocalypse and how many types and levels of apocalypse are there? I mean if all the roads are blocked and no one is coming to save you, that's the end of at least your world. (That's an oversimplification.)

All of that to say, that I don't think your idea is that far off. Every idea has holes, but what's important is churning out a desirable result in the time line you set. Sounds like you have a lot of ideas to fill the holes. You did say it would be war, which means bombs and that would get rid of resources very very fast. I wouldn't go nuclear unless you wanna have a bunch of other radiation type questions to answer.

I would also suggest just looking up things on actual energy shortage crises and maybe see if there's projections for scenarios. Many exist for other disasters like earthquakes and hurricanes. Maybe there'll be one for no energy? In any event it'll be interesting research. We are indeed running out of natural renewable resources. There are plenty of theories of what will happen, many by scientists and the like. So you have a lot pull from.

Well that's my two cents. Good luck. I'm sure it'll be awesome.
thedoodypoo

Previous

Return to Independent Game & Innovation