Poll: Have you ever cried/teared up during Journey?

Discussions on our third PS3 game, Journey. What do you think of our latest game?

Have you ever cried/teared up during Journey?

Cried like a little girl.
38%
I did tear up a bit.
40%
No, but still a strong emotional reaction.
19%
No.
2%

Total votes : 52

Poll: Have you ever cried/teared up during Journey?

Postby Coltsfoot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:58 am

"So eventually, we have the arc. And we had very good indication, because doing a final playtest, 25 people played, and 3 of them had tears in their eyes. So, we know it's finally there". - Jenova Chen, 2013 D.I.C.E. Keynote speech

This is something that has interested me for a long time, so I thought it's finally time to post this poll.

I divided it into 4 options, and you can choose which one describes the highest emotional reaction you ever had playing Journey. Be honest.

I'm curious for the result...

I myself never actually cried or teared up during Journey, but I'm generally someone who never does this during movies. There are exactly two movies out there that ever made me tear up a little bit, and that's it. When it comes to entertainment in general, I guess I'm just kind of an unemotional person.

However, I still got a strong emotional reaction, especially when I played it for the first time. It was this "lump in your throat" feeling that held on to me for a long time after I've played the game. That's the most a game ever got me.

And besides, to this day, even on my 100st or so Journey, soaring into the sky at the end of the snow level still sends chills down my spine EVERY TIME. That's seriously remarkable.
PSN ID: silvan94 / Coltsfoot18
JOURNEY meets "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Forum members met: hijackei, Tundris, Onion_Budgie (2x), nightowlo, Tonton_Hazuki, Winterfuchs(2x), CheekyD
Coltsfoot
Veteran

Re: Poll: Have you ever cried/teared up during Journey?

Postby Klowny » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:14 am

I didn't cry or get choked up, but I had a very strong emotional reaction. And by "strong emotional reaction", I mean an overwhelming life-changing experience.

I've said it before but it bears repeating: Journey's goal is as simple as "Go to the Mountain," or as simple as "Become a Better Human Being."
PS3 Journeys: 1536
| River_in_Time 1988-2015 | PS4 Journeys: W-13 R-40
Klowny
Legend

Postby Onion_Budgie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:49 am

I've never cried while playing the game, but an absolute Yes to having a strong emotional reaction to it pretty much every time, either for the sheer beauty, or the companion who I'm with.

But... when watching certain YouTube playthroughs, and listening to a thoughtful and/or joyous commentary, then yes, I've been known to cry like a little girl, as you put it. :D In those moments my concentration isn't on my controller, or where my companion has disappeared to, but focused in a different way, through another's personal experience. And that always gets me.
Onion_Budgie
Veteran

Postby KBABZ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 am

I get a strong emotional reaction, usually on the verge of crying (I get short breaths and choke up). What's interesting to me is that it happens EVERY time, and always on par with the strength of the first time I completed the game.

Journey is one of only four pieces that are able to get such a reaction out of me. The others are the end to A Crack in Time, the end of Crisis Core, and the end of The Return of the King film.

I seem to be a sucker for endings.
Is it just me, or are all of thatgamecompany's Sony titles about collecting stuff to make your thing grow longer?
KBABZ
Hardcore Fan

Postby Raidengale » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:11 am

Usually I only have strong emotional reactions, it's true, but when my beautiful baby got through the light for the first time, there were tears rolling down my face. I was so happy for her and I wanted her so badly to not be alone anymore (I played the first journey offline, so I didn't know about 'others' just yet) that I cried. I didn't bawl mind you, I NEVER bawl like a little girl (unless it's something huge) so I can't say that I cried like a little girl.

I'm in that nice little middle ground between too-many-feels-to-hold-it-all-in and guys-I-can't-stop-crying-my-face-is-turning-into-mush. :lol:
Raidengale

Postby ninj4lettuce » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:12 am

I probably would have cried like a hungry and tired toddler on several occasions while playing Journey but... I just don't cry, really. :) Even when I kinda, almost tear up, it doesn't show in my eyes. But if my inner emotional reaction were transformed into tears we'd have some serious waterworks.
>>> Journey Screen Captures
PSN: ninj4lettuce
ninj4lettuce
Hardcore Fan

Postby -InFiLtRaToR- » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:08 am

Teared up a bit on my second and third playthroughs, but ever since then I don't really get any emotional reactions whatsoever.
Now you're thinking with portals...and stupidity!

Signature by Byzantyan.
-InFiLtRaToR-
Legend

Postby j3llyf1shm4n » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:15 am

Yes, I still cry at the end, usually when I feel connected with my companion and we have been together the whole way. Kind of a like a "We did it!" moment, and I get emotional that they stuck with me the whole way. It depends on the journey and what mood I'm in though.
j3llyf1shm4n

Postby Winterfuchs » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:30 am

What? Crying? No! Someone was cutting onions! ... several times... :-)

Yes, I did cry. Though it got less in recent journeys. But it still happens occasionally when looking at fanart or when the music triggers memories. Interestingly it's usually not crying out of sadness, but because journey manages to touch something deep inside of me, which you just can't experience everywhere, everyday or with everone. It does something magnificently right there.

But there are also other emotions and reactions during a game. I cry, I laugh, I get frustrated when something doesn't work and I'm overjoyed when other things finally work. I'm happy when I meet a companion who has the time and willingness to experience something together and a little sad when others rush by or just dust away.

The one thing that really amazes me though, journey doesn't trigger my desire to win or to be better than someone. Something that happens in nearly every other game.
It only triggers my desire to reach the mountain eventually and to have a good time with a companion :-)
Winterfuchs
Veteran

Postby ASGeek2012 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:43 am

Yes, Journey can still indeed make me cry, though not as often as it once did. It really depends on the companion and the situation. The emotions I feel are different compared to when I Journey with a newbie red cloak, an experienced player, or a forum member.

The Journeys with first and second run reds are the ones most likely to make me misty-eyed, as I am getting the privilege to forge their first impressions of the game, especially if I managed to be their companion from beginning or near-beginning to end. This is especially true when my companion starts out silent and reticent and by the end is nearly as chirpy as me. I feel like I really connected to someone when that happens, and I managed it without having to speak their language.

Journeys with experienced players or forum members are less likely to make me tear up (though I came close during the anniversary night event because we were both first run reds). Instead, they just give me a face-aching huge smile on my face when it's over.
New forum sig pic UNDER CONSTRUCTION

A Journey fanfic "Finding the Light"

PSN IDs: ASGeek2012 | TheGeekyCloak
ASGeek2012
Legend

Location: Running circles around you and tangling up your scarf

Postby skaia » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:45 am

I probably would have at some point, save for the fact that there were always other people in the room when I was playing and I don't like crying in front of other people. I have always had a strong emotional reaction to the game, but I only legitimately teared up once: when I had to complete the final ascent/paradise alone for the first time. Dying alone on the Mountain was a heartbreaking experience.

I have cried several times at the music when I'm alone, though. Final Confluence and Apotheosis still get me every time.
PSN: skaia-stormsong | Just bought a PS3 and Journey!
skaia

Postby penguin_farmer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Upon completion of my first playthrough, I noticed a clear fluid coming out of my lacrimal ducts. Interestingly, this fluid had a high concentration of sodium chloride.
penguin_farmer
Veteran

Postby Aquari » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:01 pm

I have teared up during Journey a fair few times now. The very first time I got to the part of Apotheosis where the music just explodes and you go around on the jellyfish, I welled up.
I've cried the most with a companion i really connected with, at the end and during the snow, with someone called Azo-Fukyo.... I love ya little red cloak.
A few tears flowed as I landed on the mountain once, after a long time of lonely journeys because of my internet connection, so when I finally landed on that mountain with someone again, it just came.
And sometimes welled up a tear when I lost a companion, like with bin-ti, they had to leave judging by their chirps and I was so sad to see them go...
Fightinmonsters, a first run red, made me cry at the end, walking to the light with tears down my cheeks.
And then there was Flokati... tears came when we sat together after drawing a chain of hearts, to the very end. And she's made me well up several times after <3

Edit: I think mine and Flokati's third Journey, has officially topped it all. That final walk into the light, my gosh. Sobbing.

Oh Journey what are you doing to me. ThatGamecompany, my feels, whyyyyyy DB
Last edited by Aquari on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Keep the Journeys you've taken in mind, and whenever you feel the urge, return to the game. Otherwise, just don't forget. Playing Journey or not, you'll always be a Journeyer." ~ ShiraCheshire
Aquari
Hardcore Fan

Postby thejourneyfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:02 pm

I sob my heart out every time I play Journey. I once told my friend I could burst into tear on command, do I proved it right in front of her. All I have to do when I want to feel a particular emotion is think of Journey, which is why I'm so emotional at acting. In a play I performed, at a climatic scene the character I played was supposed to get really emotional, so at that part I literally had tears streaming down my face, and all I did was think of walking into the light alone. Then she was supposed to realize something, and start crying from joy. I thought of resigning myself to a lonely walk into the light alone, then suddenly discovering the partner you thought you accidentally left behind is still there, and you walk into the light after drawing lots of hearts. I have tears streaming down my face as I right this T-T :D T-T
thejourneyfan

Postby Amish_Gramish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:24 pm

Yup. I teared up a little bit.

Then a couple weeks later, my brother played it with one of our friends talking to him the entire way through. I told the friend that he should play it alone without anyone talking to him, and he said, "I already saw Jared play it, so I know what it's like."

It's like watching someone else crash their car and saying that you know what it's like.

EDIT:
It's like this with every video game, I mean. I'll never truly know what it's like to play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but mainly due to me seeing how long it takes to play and figure everything out that I just don't want to put the time into it.
Amish_Gramish
Former Community Manager

Next

Return to Journey